Homestay accommodation is an excellent opportunity for both students and hosts to embrace a different culture, language, and way of life. We are currently looking for homestay providers to take advantage of this opportunity to give a warm welcome to our students and to provide comfortable and secure accommodation.

To travel abroad to study in further and higher education is a brave and courageous choice to make; all our international students will be leaving their family, friends, and culture behind to pursue a dream of studying in a foreign country. At Central Bedfordshire College, we are proud that students from all over the world have placed their trust in us to provide them with an outstanding education; however, accommodation is equality important. By choosing homestay accommodation, our students can make the most of their studies while also immersing themselves in a different culture and living with a family in the UK.

We hope that you will help Central Bedfordshire College to make these students welcome by providing accommodation.


1. Disclosure and Barring Service (Formally the Criminal Records Bureau)
A Disclosure and Barring Service form should be completed for every member of the household over the age of 18. The form should then be returned to the International Department for a check to be performed. These checks are mandatory because you are accommodating 'vulnerable young adults'.

Homestay applicants will get the forms from the International Department during the initial home visit by the College.

It is the homestay provider's responsibility to ensure that DBS forms are completed for all household members over the age of 18.

This will cost £44 per person and last for 5 years.

It is also an essential requirement that, if any household member receives a criminal conviction, the College must be informed immediately and a second DBS check is completed. Failure to do so may jeopardise any arrangement to host our students.

We will need to run a new DBS check every 5 years. Alternatively, you can register your DBS check once you have received your certificate within 14 days. This is for a fee of £13 and will keep the check active for 1 year, meaning you can use the DBS certificate if you need one for other purposes rather than having to have a brand new check run for you.

2. Gas Safety Regulations 1998
Host families providing accommodation for our students are classified as landlords under the above regulations. Therefore, all boilers, fires and central heating systems (gas) need to be installed and serviced by 'competent persons' i.e. Gas Safe registered engineers. You can learn more about the gas safety checks at or call 0800 408 5500. Alternatively, please visit the British Gas Website at or call 0800 980 6005.

The International Department will require a copy of a gas service safety certificate.

3. References
All new host families will be required to provide two character references prior to becoming a host family. The references will need to be from someone who has known you for 5 years or more and could be your employer/manager, member of the community etc.

Contact Us

If you would like to apply to become an official Homestay Provider for Central Bedfordshire College, then please contact the International Manager by phone on: 01582 349624 or 07415 784650 or by email at: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Homestay agreement for hosts

Homestay application form

Sign up now for updates

Be the first to know about course availability

Email address:

  • qaa
  • ofsted good
  • TES FE 2018 Winner email signature Professional services