Level 2 Professional cookery, Level 2 Food and beverage service.
Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Professional Cookery (QCF) is a job ready qualification based on National Occupational Standards (NOS).
This qualification will develop your knowledge, understanding and skills to work in a professional cooking environment. Specifically you will learn how to maintain the health, hygiene, safety and security of the working environment and develop productive working relationships with colleagues. You will also learn how to maintain food safety when storing, preparing and cooking food.
Who is the course suitable for?
The optional units that make up this qualification will allow you to tailor your learning to your employers needs and your personal interests and preferences. Units range from preparing, cooking and finishing and variety of complex dishes to contributing to the control of resources and the development of recipes and menus.
Develop productive working relationships with colleagues
Maintain the health, hygiene, safety and security of the working environment
Optional - from this group you'll need to cover a minimum of 9 units and earn a minimum of 39 credits.
- Produce healthier dishes
- Employment rights and responsibilities in the hospitality, leisure, travel and tourism sector
- Prepare poultry for complex dishes
- Cook and finish complex game dishes
- Prepare, cook and finish complex hot sauces
- Ensure food safety practices are followed in the preparation and serving of food and drink
- Prepare, cook and finish complex bread and dough products
- Produce sauces, fillings and coatings for complex desserts
- Prepare fish for complex dishes
- Prepare, cook and finish complex soups
- Contribute to the control of resources
- Prepare meat for complex dishes
- Cook and finish complex fish dishes
- Prepare, cook and finish complex cakes, sponges, biscuits and scones
- Prepare, process and finish marzipan, pastillage and sugar products
- Cook and finish complex shellfish dishes
- Prepare, cook and finish dressings and cold sauces
- Prepare, cook and present complex cold products
- Prepare, cook and finish complex hot desserts
- Cook and finish complex meat dishes
- Cook and finish complex poultry dishes
- Cook and finish complex vegetable dishes
- Prepare, cook and finish complex pastry products
- Prepare shellfish for complex dishes
- Prepare game for complex dishes
- Prepare, cook and finish fresh pasta dishes
- Prepare, cook and finish complex cold desserts
- Prepare, process and finish complex chocolate products
- Prepare, finish and present canapés and cocktail products
- Contribute to the development of recipes and menus
Development of Maths and English
Students who are 16-18 and have not yet achieved at least a C grade in English and Maths will have to continue, as per government requirements.
At Central Bedfordshire College Students who have a D in GCSE Maths and English will be required to retake these GCSE subjects in order to obtain at least a C grade at GCSE level.
Employability Skills Development
All students will be required to attend work experience in an external environment once a week and attend SOME Saturday sessions in college for work based learning sessions.
How will the course be taught?
Underpinning this qualification you will develop a sound knowledge and understanding of each unit including health and safety for all services.
How will I know how well I am doing?
Through on-going assessment in practical skills and theory tests as well as study programmes and work experience.
Pro monitor will track all progress made
Through one to one sessions with your tutor throughout the course.
Are there any additional costs?
Uniform and kit
What course can I do next?
Chef de partie
Where can I get further support / advice?
Contact the college on 01582 477 776 or go to our website: www.centralbeds.ac.uk
How do I join the course?
Fill in an application form on line and you will be invited for a presentation and interview with one of the tutors.
Fees vary from year to year and need to be discussed on interview.