This course is suitable for learners who are looking to either start, or continue studying, a mathematics Functional Skills qualification at entry level, level 1, or level 2. We will ask you to complete an online skills assessment as part of the application process to help us understand and improve your current skills.
This course is offered on a Tuesday evening between 6pm and 9pm, or a Saturday between 9.30am and 12.30pm. Courses commence in September and April.
Who is the course suitable for?
This course is for those who wish to improve or develop their existing maths skills, and gain valuable qualifications recognised by employers and training providers. These skills will help you to build your knowledge and understanding that will enable you to develop confidence in the functional use of everyday maths.
You will develop your skills in:
- understanding and using positive and negative numbers of any size in practical contexts
- carry out calculations with numbers of any size in practical contexts, to a given number of decimal places
- understand, use and calculate ratio and proportion, including problems involving scale
- understand and use equivalences between fractions, decimals and percentages
- understand and use simple formulae and equations involving one or two operations
- recognise and use 2-D representations of 3-D objects
- find area, perimeter and volume of common shapes
- use, convert and calculate using metric and, where appropriate, imperial measures
- use and interpret statistical measures, tables and diagrams
- use statistical methods to investigate situations
- use probability to assess the likelihood of an outcome.
Development of Maths and English
Employability Skills Development
Good everyday maths skills are recognised by employers fundamental to both employment and progression, this course will help you to develop these skills
How will the course be taught?
The course is classroom based over 15 academic weeks. You will also have access to the College Virtual learning Environment (VLE) which will give you access to additional resources to practice the skills you learn in the classroom.
How will I know how well I am doing?
You will be assessed through verbal, and course work based assessments that are on-going throughout the course on the topic being studied at that time. There are also practice examinations throughout the course to you help develop exam techniques.
Are there any additional costs?
There are no other additional costs to the course.
What course can I do next?
Achievement of level 2 maths may allow you to progress onto the GCSE maths course.
Where can I get further support / advice?
How do I join the course?
There are 3 levels of entry level English courses available, and we will ask you to complete an online assessment to help us decide with is the right level for you.