Merger with The Bedford College Group: Click here for latest updates

Course Code
Course Title
Level 2
30 Teaching week(s)
Entry Requirements

4 9-3/A-D GCSE grades (including English)

Start Date
September 2023
16-18 £0.00
Funded £633.00
Non-Funded £1,417.00

Will the course give me what I want?

These courses are aimed at learners working in roles that offer specialist support for pupils’ learning in primary, secondary or special schools, as well as colleges.

Course content

This qualification provides learners with an in-depth understanding of the knowledge and skills needed when working directly with children and young people in school and college environments. It covers all aspects of specialist support including planning, delivering and reviewing assessment strategies to support learning alongside the teacher; bilingual support; special needs support; and personal development and reflective practice.


These courses run at different venues including Dallow Community Centre (Luton) which is the main hub for our community courses.

How will I learn?

A variety of teaching strategies will be used including, pair and group work, class discussions, power point presentations, use of work sheets, creating different assignments for different units included in the course.

How will I be assessed?

All units will be internally assessed using a range of methods which could include: written assignments or tasks such as designing a leaflet or booklet, charts or diagrams or setting up an information board, also the learners will be assessed by the assessor by direct observation during the learners’ placement in schools or colleges, supporting children and young people.

Equipment and other costs

Students will be expected to bring, pens, pencils, a notebook and a file. These are essential items. Students are welcome to bring anything extra that will help them. Students can borrow different supporting books from the college LRC (Learning Resource Centre) to help them in creating their course work/assignments.

What additional work outside of college will I need to do?

Students are expected to complete homework and any tasks set by the tutor.

Do I need to find a work placement? Do I need a DBS?

As learners need to show competence in both skills and knowledge, they will need to be working or be on a practical placement during the taught programme of study in a learning environment (school or college). As learners will be working with children and young people, need need to have a clear DBS.

What have students who have taken this course in the past progressed onto?

Learners can progress onto the Level 3/4 Certificate for the Advanced Practitioner in Schools and Colleges, a foundation degree or specialist roles within the workforce.

What are the expected employment sectors for this course?

This qualification provides you with the knowledge, understanding and skills to work in a variety of unsupervised job roles that support children and young people’s learning in schools or colleges. Roles this qualification will prepare you for include:

  • Teaching Assistant
  • Learning Support Assistant
  • Special Needs Assistant.

Courses you like

It's easy to add one! Find a course you like and tap BOOKMARK.

Community Learning Courses