Is this course right for me?
This course is an introduction to either our employment or vocational Pathway or a step up to join vocational courses within the mainstream provision in college*
Learners learn in our purpose built, fully equipped Bistro to gain the practical skills and knowledge that will enable them to progress on to other courses. Learners on this course will partake in a variety of practical activities including:
- Developing food hygiene and safety skills in the kitchen environment
- Planning and cooking cakes and savouries to be sold in Pathways Coffee Shop
- Providing a food service, with hot foods prepared and served by the learners
- Working as a team to create menus for takeaway foods such as paninis and milkshakes
- Planning, preparing and hosting themed and celebratory lunches throughout the year
- Taking part in enterprise events. Learners will also develop their functional skills alongside their vocational timetable by attending specific Maths and English sessions and having individualised targets in these areas.
Learners attend College for three days each week, 9am - 4pm. Group sizes are usually around eight learners.
Learners will be working on gaining an Entry level Certificate in Personal and Social skills. Progress will be monitored using the RARPA process where personal targets will be set and regularly reviewed with the learner, parents, carers and other professionals. As part of the course learners will take part in some supported work placements in Pathways coffee shop.
What options are there after completing this course?
As in all courses in College, there is a focus on progression and the course aims to prepare for their next step whether this is a further course at Central Beds College within the mainstream provision* or join one of our employment pathways.
*Dependent on student meeting entry requirements
Coming to College is a full time commitment and you will need to ensure that you have factored in the cost of travelling to College and potentially to a local work placement. If you are concerned about this, please click here to see what financial support is available through our Student Services team.
We do recommend a few good resources that you can choose to purchase if you wish which you can see here (link). We may request contributions are made to trips and outings.